Here is what I do if my Ulcerative Colitis Flares Up -
1. Take Probiotics in particular VSL-3 which is specifically formulated for Ulcerative Colitis. In one medical study at The University of Alberta UC patients were given 8 sachets a day for 6 weeks and this produced remission in 77% of them. Also get some Kefir Grains and make your own Kefir with Goats Milk, which is easy to do and provides you with a nourishing drink which is packed with probiotics.
2. Drink Fangocur Clay it is a clay based mineral drink which is a highly effective natural remedy for Colitis. It has been studied at the Medical University if Vienna and was found to be effective in the treatment of Ulcerative Colitis. It fights inflammation of the intestinal wall and reduces diarrhoea.
3. Diet, No Sugar or Alcohol at all, Best to avoid fruit too with the possible exception of the odd banana. Chicken Stock Soup is soothing and nutritious in a flare up- the recipe is on my site Colitisrecovery.com. Avoid all grains, beans and potatoes, with the exception of rice. Eat Chicken and Fish but when you cook them only steam or boil, absolutely no frying. Vegetables are OK if well cooked, again steam them well, but avoid the really fibrous root ones like Swede, also avoid tomatoes and peppers. Avoid all dairy products, I find they make any bleeding worse - except Kefir and homemade probiotic yogurt. Don't overeat, have lots of small meals little and often is best.
4. Take these Herbs - Boswellia, Turmeric and Ashwaganda, all are very effective anti inflammatories, in one study Ashwaganda was shown to be a stronger anti inflammatory than steroids.
5. Elemental Drinks - These are a form of feeding which is completely absorbed in the small intestine, and therefore give the colon a rest whilst still providing nourishment. They have been used in medical studies to induce remission in UC as successfully as steroids. I have had Elemental 028 from my Doctor and they really help in the midst of a Flare Up. You can also get Absorb Plus on the Web.
6. Omega 3 Fish Oils are another excellent anti inflammatory; take 4g of them a day.
Once things settle down, continue with Probiotics, Omega3, and Boswellia & Turmeric. Reintroduce more foods but follow a Palaeolithic diet for autoimmunity. It is also worth having an igg antibody test for food intolerances done in case there is any food which is triggering your Colitis.