When there is an inflammation in the colon then this condition is termed as colitis. Autoimmune reactions, poor blood supply, and also infections are some of the major causes of colitis. Colon is a long muscular tube and pushes the food which is undigested towards the anus for natural elimination as bowel movement. It is the colon which is responsible for collection and storage of the waste products of digestion. The location of the colon is in abdominal cavity.
Various parts of the colon are cecum, ascending colon, transverse, descending colon, the sigmoid, the rectum and the anus. There are numerous layers in the wall of the colon. The layer which wraps the outside is known as smooth muscle. It squeezes the undigested food through the length of the colon. Mucosa is the inner layer which helps in solidifying the feces. An inflammation of the colon occurs in the mucosal layer which is responsible for the symptoms of colitis.
An infection and the variety of illness cause the inflammation of the colon. Most common causes of the colitis are - infectious colitis, ischemic colitis, inflammatory bowel disease, microscopic colitis and chemical colitis.
Usually according to the type of colitis the symptoms of the colitis will occur. Abdominal pain and diarrhea are its common symptoms. There are some other symptoms also.
1. A constant feeling of having bowel movement. It is also called Tenesmus.
2. Constant pain
3. Inflammation, infection, chills and fever.
4. In the bowel movement there may be the presence of blood.
5. Abdominal pain occurs in waves which causes diarrhea.
Various types of natural cures are available to cure colitis.
1. Best way to control colitis is to shift on liquid diet. Diet plays an important role in curing colitis. Fluid diet is best for colitis as it allows the colon to rest and nothing is passed into the colon to be processed as stool.
2. Intake of excess water is very necessary to cure colitis. With each diarrheal bowel movement an individual loses a significant amount of fluid. So adequate fluid should be taken to maintain the balance otherwise it will lead to dehydration and an individual will suffer from the problem of abdominal pain and cramping.
3. Try to avoid the food which causes allergies as it is also one of the important causes which result into colitis. Especially take care before using milk and dairy products, chocolate, corn, wheat, gluten etc.