There are different ways you can promote self healing colitis and crohns if you suffer from either of these inflammatory bowel diseases (IBD). Self healing remedies, which are essentially non-drug alternative treatments, are the preferred choice of treatment for many IBD sufferers because most of these remedies are free of negative side effects and encourage the body to heal itself.
The following are 10 self healing colitis and crohns methods you can look into -
1. Diet - Many IBD symptoms are triggered by food products. Therefore, it's a good idea to create a food diary and eliminate the foods that aggravate your condition (I.E. fat, sugar, acid foods) and increase those that lower the risk (I.E. most fruits, vegetables, and foods high in omega-3 fatty acids). Talk to a dietician or your doctor about good food choices and to start a diet plan that works for you.
2. Herbal remedies - There are many herbal remedies for self healing colitis and crohns treatments. Herbs from plant have been used for thousands of years for medicinal purposes including treating gastrointestinal disorders such as crohns and colitis. Popular herbal remedies that may be used as treatment for inflammation include: cat's claw, green tea, ginkgo, slippery elm, wild indigo, etc. Herbs may be taken as supplements, added to recipes, in tea, or eaten whole, depending on the herb. It's in your best interest to talk with a professional herbalist.
3. Acupuncture - Acupuncture is a traditional Chinese medicine that involves the insertion of hair-thin needles into specific acupoints in the body to help bring balance back to the body. Acupuncture can help treat painful symptoms as well as, diarrhea and constipation. This treatment should be sought from a professional acupuncturist.
4. Hypnosis - Known as body/mind medicine, this form of self healing colitis and crohns is a treatment that helps to increase relaxation, improve immune function, decrease stress and ease feelings of anxiety. Hypnosis improves conditions by allowing a patient to use their subconscious to gain control over their symptoms. Hypnosis should be sought from a psychologist or psychiatrist.
5. Homeopathy - This is a type of treatment that focuses on treating individuals as a whole. The course of treatment is determined after a person's physical, psychological and emotional makeup is studied. This form of treatment is given by a homeopath.
6. Naturopathy - Naturopathy treats a person as a whole - mind, body and spirit. Naturopathy does not treat the illness, and promotes self-healing by determining what lifestyle changes a person needs in order to achieve and maintain good health. Many alternative treatments may be recommended including acupuncture, homeopathy, massage therapy, herbs, etc.
7. Probiotics - Some research has found that probiotics, also known as good gut bacteria (I.E. lactobacillus) can improve the symptoms of crohns and colitis. By providing the stomach with beneficial bacteria it helps to keep other "bad" bacteria under control and bring more balance to the gut flora.
8. Reduce Stress - Anxiety and stress have been shown to trigger and worsen symptoms related to IBD. Therefore, part of a good self healing colitis and crohns treatment plan is to make sure you find ways to reduce stress. Stress can be reduced through meditation exercises such as Yoga and Tai Chi, and massage therapy.
9. Reduce bad habits - If you have bad habits such as smoking, overeating, and drinking alcohol, it is imperative you put a stop to these habits right away to avoid triggering and worsening symptoms.
10. Joining a support group -Suffering from crohn's and ulcerative colitis can be difficult and embarrassing to live with. It helps to talk with people who understand your physical and emotional conditions. Treating emotional and psychological symptoms of IBD helps to reduce stress and is an important part of the self healing process.
Despite which self healing colitis and crohns remedies interest you, make sure you consult with your doctor before starting any treatment. It is important to first obtain his/her advice, and it is a good idea to allow your doctor to monitor your condition to see how you respond to self healing treatments.