It's noteworthy to say that even though the origin of Kefir and Kefir grains remain shrouded in mystery, the health benefits of consuming these are not.
Throughout literally the ages, kefir has been known to have "miraculous" health benefits. This is present since the earliest known origin of kefir going back centuries ago, to the people of the Caucasus mountain region, these people, who regularly consume large quantities of kefir, were known for their very long and healthy life spans with little to no diseases.
Centuries later, USSR scientists are able to procure some kefir from this same region and confirm its health benefits as well. Fast forward to today, countries from all over, such as Norway, Tibet, Sweden, Denmark, Holland, Brazil, South East Asian countries among many many others are manufacturing, researching and confirming these truths as well.
Some of the health benefits kefir is known for are:
- Antibiotic and antifungal properties
- Stress relief
- Lowering blood cholesterol and blood pressure
- Reduces flatulence, correcting irritable bowel disease and fortifying gastric function
- Treatment of prostate problems in men
- Treatment of Interstitial cystitis in women
- Treatment of bladder infection and gastric dysfunction
- Treatment for liver problems due to hepatic infection
- Treatment of Ulcerative colitis
- Prevention or control of Diabetes
- Treatment of a variety of other conditions, including metabolic disorders, atherosclerosis, and allergies, tuberculosis, cancer, poor digestion, candidiasis, osteoporosis, hypertension, HIV and heart disease.
Based on scientific research, kefir is able to do all these things because it contains trillions and trillions of good or beneficial bacteria. Even though scientific research is unsure of exactly how, the diverse bacteria in kefir are able to perfectly form complex symbiosis with one another resulting in extremely enhanced health benefits compared to each bacteria acting alone.
In addition to this kefir is very rich in vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants, amino acids and enzymes. Vitamins such as B2, B12 and vitamin A, K and D. Minerals such as calcium, phosphorus and magnesium. Anti-oxidants, which are present in kefir slows down the aging process. Essential amino acids such as tryptophan, which kefir is also abundant of, are known for its relaxing effect on the nervous system. And the more the good enzymes, the better it is for your stomach.
In conclusion, there really isn't any other food out there that compares to kefir in terms of its sustenance, nourishing qualities and its health benefits. No wonder they call it the miracle food.
So cheers! Bottom's up to a glass of rejuvenating kefir.