Colitis in dogs is actually an inflammation of the colon or?large intestine. This particularly?nasty disease is actually more common in older dogs - particularly dogs over the age of 10 years of age.There are also a?number of different causes of this condition, some of which we have listed below.
- This condition can be caused by Irritable Bowel Syndrome (also known as Irritable Bowel Disorder).
- If your dog has experienced a sudden trauma (for example being hit by a car) this may cause the condition.
- Another cause of this illness is due to a trauma associated with injury to the Pelvis.
- Bacterial infections are thought?to be?another cause of the illness - specific bacteria include Salmonella, Clostridium?and?Campylobacter.
- Watch out for allergic reactions as Vets also think allergies can cause the illness.
- Giardia is another cause of the condition.
- Colitis can also be caused by infections that have affected the Liver, Spleen and Kidney.
Symptoms of the Disease
- Constipation is a sign of the condition
- Diarrhea can also be seen in some cases
- If your dog has started vomiting he may have developed the disease
- Watch out for blood in your dog's stool as this is another symptom
Treatment for this condition can include some of the following...
- Antifungal medication
- Medication to treat allergies can be prescribed
- Antiparasitic medication can be used to treat the condition
- You may be?advised by your dog's vet to change the diet that you have been feeding?him - some people think that a diet that is high in fiber may be a useful treatment
- If your dog is pooping too much the vet may prescribe medications to stop this problem including Ioperamide.
There are some home remedies that can be used to treat?Canine Colitis ?(but always speak to your vet) as you always need professional advice should you be at all concerned that your dog or puppy has this illness.