When it comes to diseases of twenty first century, we all think that syndrome X comprising of diabetes, hypertension, and hypercholesterolemia is the topmost disorder. Well, it's not false but here is another disease that is increasing in its incidence, pertaining to instant foods and irregular eating habits of people. Yes, I am talking about piles, which are technically termed as hemorrhoids.
In the simplest terms, we can say that hemorrhoids are the varicose veins of rectum and anal canal. The engorged veins in the rectum lead to piles, which may be external or internal. External piles are covered by skin while the internal ones are covered with mucus membrane.
Causes of hemorrhoids:
(1) Heredity: However we blame the eating habits, the first culprit lies in our genetic make up. Congenital weakness of blood vessel walls is found in families, which are prone to hemorrhoids. Also in some families, very large arterial supply to hemorrhoidal plexus is found. This may be called as a non-modifiable factor; however, with apt precautions and treatment, this tendency can be curbed positively.
(2) Pregnancy: Due to straining during childbirth, many women suffer from post-partum hemorrhoids. Sometimes they occur lately also. Due to lax pelvic floor muscles and ligaments, venous walls get loosened too, because of which protrusion of hemorrhoids may occur.
(3) Chronic constipation: This is by far the commonest cause of hemorrhoids. If the wrong eating habits are left uncorrected, patient suffers from chronic constipation. Also drinking less water, too spicy food, lack of exercise, etc account for exciting factors for aggravating latent hemorrhoids.
(4) Colitis, dysenteries, diarrheas, and enteritis etc may lead to hemorrhoids if left untreated for long.
(5) Serious diseases: In some serious health conditions like systemic or portal hypertension, inferior vena caval congestion, cardiac or pulmonary disease, cancer of rectum, etc.
Signs and Symptoms of hemorrhoids:
Bleeding per anus is the commonest symptom of hemorrhoids. Bright red blood oozing during stools is usually the first symptom experienced by many patients. Protrusion of hemorrhoids palpable per anus is usually the late sign. Internal hemorrhoids however may not lead to bleeds, but develop acute pain while defecation. The pain is usually excruciating and may remain even after stool in form of dull ache. Mucus discharge may accompany prolapsed hemorrhoids. Complications like profuse hemorrhage, thrombosis, strangulation of piles, ulceration, and rarely gangrene can occur if hemorrhoids are left untreated for long.
Treatment of hemorrhoids and homeopathic approach:
Conventional treatment of hemorrhoids most of the times is surgical intervention. Hemorrhoidectomy is performed under general or local anesthesia. But we certainly have homeopathy as the best weapon to treat hemorrhoids and cure them completely. According to homeopathy, hemorrhoids occur in people with venous constitution usually. This tendency can be curbed by utilizing aptly chosen constitutional medicine, which is selected by considering the totality of symptoms. Numerous locally acting medicines may be used at times to lessen bleeding, pain and/or mucus. But remember these local medicines have to be backed with constitutional and miasmatic remedy for perfect cure.
Several homeopathic medicines have to be thought of while treating hemorrhoids. Aloe socotrina, Nux vomica, Aesculus, Hamamelis, Collinsonia, Pulsatilla, Graphites, Calcarea carb, etc are some of the homeopathic remedies, which can alleviate the pain and bleeding.
Auxiliary line of treatment:
Well, as for any other disease, some preventive aspects are very important in hemorrhoidal cases. Here is the list-
- Regularize your eating habits (crucially important)
- Eat food rich in fiber
- Avoid too much fatty stuff and spices,
- Drink lot of water,
- Exercise regularly
- Seek medical help immediately upon any type of intestinal problems
- Avoid frequent use of laxatives and purgatives